Summer 2011 is when all Bryce's dreams came true. We had an abundance of crickets around this part of Texas. I mean they were everywhere. Parking lots, inside stores, everywhere. A few even managed to make their way into our house. Well, one day we found one in our house and it had a missing hind leg. Bryce immediately said he wanted to keep it as a pet. I agreed thinking (hoping) it would die soon.
After we secured a nice home and some food for it, it was now officially his pet. I've never seen Bryce so happy and thrilled. He watched it for hours. He talked about it nonstop. He didn't want to leave the house without it. He told me he loved it more than he loves me. The list goes on.
As I was doing my research on crickets to find out what they eat, I discovered that Pillow would likely not live long without his hind leg. I decided to tell Bryce just to prepare him. I've never seen him so upset. Poor kid. I guess I should have just kept that part to myself. But he decided we needed to say a prayer for him and we asked that pillow would live a longish life.
He named him "Pillow Cricket Borden".
I'm happy to say that Pillow lived for a couple months. Just long enough for Bryce to lose some of the excitement and attachment that he had for that poor cricket. He was still pretty upset when he passed though. He even hand made him a coffin to bury him in the backyard.
No comments:
Post a Comment